CHN reports that The NCAA Men’s Ice Hockey Committee has decided to remove the RPI bonus from the NCAA tournament selection criteria. The bonus, which had been in place for two seasons, was tweaked before the start of last season, and was the subject for ridicule by some in the college hockey world.
“The committee felt that the bonus points were not acting in the manner that we had hoped when we put them in. There were concerns as to what was designated as a neutral site and what was not. They hoped some of the more prominent programs would go on the road to play at other sites, and that was not happening,” notes committee member and Minnesota AD Joel Maturi.
The RPI bonus was supposed to give additional points to team RPI’s after a team amassed a “good win,” with certain victories at certain places generating more bonus points than other victories at other places. The system was amended last season, however, only allowing points to teams picking up wins on the road or at a neutral site.
Other decisions were made at the most recent meeting as well. According to the CHN, these decisions were…
* Preference will continue to be given to future Frozen Four site to NHL-sized ice sheets in neutral locations.
* The committee will accept bids for the West and
Midwestregional sites for 2010-11 beginning this fall with a decision in the summer of 2008. In the fall of 2008, the committee will bid out all four regions for 2012 and 2013, with awards made in the summer of 2009. In the fall of 2009, bids will be sent for the Frozen Four in 2013, 2014 and 2015 with awards made in the summer of 2010.
* Clarified neutral officiating crews rules. The committee will require that the video replay official also be neutral and that if necessary, mixed crews (for example, a referee from one conference and assistant referees from a different conference) are allowed. None of the referees will be from either of the conferences of participating teams.
* Will require the six committee members from each of the six conferences to provide a detailed analysis of the selection process and answer questions at the conference meetings at the American Hockey Coaches Association convention, prior to the committee’s meeting with all the coaches.
* Elected Joel Maturi, athletics director at the
, Universityof Minnesota , chair for 2007-08 and recommended Steve Cady, senior associate athletics director at the Twin Cities ( Miami University ) to be chair in 2008-09. Ohio