- Our fine friends over at College Hockey News have updated their Summer Session series with looks at a couple of WCHA teams: Minnesota-Duluth and North Dakota. The Bulldog article talks about the frustration of losing 9 games by one goal and has some good quotes from Scott Sandelin. My favorite part of the article is a typo that says,
"expect Duluth to disrupt the playoff picture towards the end of the year when they play suck top teams as Minnesota and North Dakota"Unfortunately for CHN it appears some of these Summer Session articles were written earlier this summer before rosters were finalized. The Sioux article talks about the great second half last season and Dave Hakstol mentions his expectations for the incoming class but the article says,
"And another newcomer worth notice is former Alaska-Anchorage forward Shea Hamilton who will look to establish himself as a role player."Um ... Shea ain't on North Dakota's updated roster confirming early summer rumors that he would be gone. Writing 59 team summaries is tough job for any outfit. CHN has some excellent features and I really like the tale of the tape feature in their schedule section so there's lots of reasons to overlook the minor deficiencies in a couple of previews. I make plenty of mistakes myself (like not having a clue what "bullets" A.Allen uses).
- Over at Inside College Hockey there is the ongoing A-Z series which picks players by their last names and profiles at least one from all 59 teams. Another pretty big bite to take and no doubt a difficult job. Dion Knelsen from the Nanooks and Geoff Kinrade from Michigan Tech are the latest updates in that series, L-Z remain. I haven't read all of the A-K's yet but for what I've read so far they get high marks.
- Over at the third major college hockey site, USCHO there isn't any evidence of preseason coverage yet. I suppose they've learned how much work there is in trying to cover every team in some way. I wouldn't even recommend reading anything at the famous fan forum for at least another couple of weeks as the late summer fare isn't particularly stimulating.
- The WCHA Blog has another in his series of Rink Rankings and puts DU's Magness at #6 in the league. The Rink Rankings though shouldn't be confused with his Road Trip Rankings, the latest in that list being #6 Madison; my favorite because there is lots of griping in the comments section. Anytime you list anything in the WCHA from top to bottom there are plenty of folks on the Internet to point out how wrong you are.
- The only piece of real news since this blog's excellent owner A. Allen temporarily spurned posting here in favor of furthering his education is that Atlantic Hockey announced a deal with B2 Networks to webcast every regular season and playoff game for that league. $6 per game or $79.95 to see all the games from your favorite team. Hey parents time to bust out that VISA card again!
- I'd be remiss if I didn't make mention of the 2nd best team blog in College Hockey. Care to take a guess who I think #1 is? I don't have too much interest generally in leagues outside of the WCHA but if you follow Merrimack at all then reading the Warrior Rink Rat is a must. Mike McMahon always has the up to date skinny and from my perspective does a great job.
- Lastly, in case you didn't really want to guess who is the hardest working, most excellent College Hockey blogger covering his team is, then visit this joint.